Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Classroom Management Tool {Webby Wednesday}

Happy Wednesday everyone! I want to start by saying classroom management is not my strong suit, but I'm getting better. I can attribute the new calm in my classroom to several things, but the most important component is Classdojo.com. A fabulous classroom management tool that allows you to track points, print class reports, add notes, take attendance, and print individual student behavior reports. Best of all, you can share these reports with parents at conferences or parents can access them from their home computer at any time. Believe me when I tell you, when my students found out their parents can watch them gain and lose behavior points throughout the day from their work computer, they straightened up in a hurry. It's no longer an empty threat to tell their parents, they can just see for themselves at any time. Saves me time, and we KNOW I love a good time saver.

Here's how it works: Setup your class and assign each student an avatar. You can then assign positive and negative behavior tags. (I kept the generic ones because they actually work really well for me.) I can then pull the avatar screen up on my iPad (through the ClassDojo app) or on my laptop and project it on the board for students to see. When students are behaving, or misbehaving, I can add or subtract points accordingly without taking the time to verbally address them.

Here is an exmaple of a class setup (These are NOT their actual current points):

 
I reset the points daily, but the website stores them with a time stamp for each student and as a class. Here is an example of a report printout:
 
I use a lot of incentives too. If they reach a certain amount of points in a day, they get a piece of candy. If they receive 10 points per day for a week, they get to choose a new avatar. ClassDojo is just getting started too, I hear they will be adding lots of great stuff soon!

Thank you ClassDojo for turning the behavior issues around in my classroom! :)

Let me know if you try it out! I would love to hear if it works in your classroom too!

No comments:

Post a Comment